Getting Ready for the Kentucky Derby in Ocala’s Horse Country
The pageantry and tradition of the Kentucky Derby comes alive this week as we get ready to cheer on the contenders in the 141st run for the roses” on May 2, 2015. The excitement is felt here at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club as well as the surrounding area known as “Horse Capital.”
And a few notable winners of the Kentucky Derby had ties to the local area like Silver Charm in 1997, Unbridled in 1990, Carry Back in 1961, Affirmed in 1978 who also won the Triple Crown; and Needles in 1956.
We had a horse born here last year during the Kentucky Derby and we named him Derby.
A few things to know about the Kentucky Derby:
- 2015 Race – Saturday, May 2nd
- The track – Churchill Downs in Lexington, Kentucky
- When did the race begin — in 1875 and has been run continuously since.
- How many horses in the field – 20 horses
- Official flower – red roses; hence the term “run for the roses”
- Official drink – mint julep
- Derby hats – worn by ladies with designs ranging from frilly to whimsical in bright colors
The red carpet is rolled out at the Kentucky Derby for an assortment of celebrities in the stands and royals such as England’s Queen Elizabeth has attended the event in past years.
Locally, members of Golden Ocala will be able to enjoy specials on mint juleps and other themed beverages in the clubhouse on Derby day.
We have a vibrant equestrian community here at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club. Our boarding facilities, known as the Equestrian Suites, are currently being expanded.