Make Way for the Marion Masters
Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club is calling on its members and the public to register for its Seventh Annual Marion Tennis Masters — a five-day, USTA-inspired event of men’s, women’s and mixed doubles with divisions 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0, as well as open and mixed divisions. All interested parties must report their basic contact information, availability, desired division and USTA rating to the Tennis Pro Shop no later than noon on Saturday, February 23rd. Forms are available in the Golden Ocala Weekly Gazette or here. Call (352) 402-4351 or drop by 2800 NW 80th Terrace — and then mark Wednesday, February 27th, through Sunday, March 3rd, in your calendar.
Sponsored by Porsche of Ocala, the Marion Tennis Masters is $60 per player, which includes tournament play and two additional events, breakfast, lunch, drinks, door prizes and trophies.
Maneuvering the Masters
Properly preparing for tennis tournaments like the Marion Masters is just as much about practice as it is about healthy eating and vital sleeping. Golden Ocala USPTA instructor Corey Forrest recommends:
- Start hydrating one week ahead of the tournament
- Begin practicing at least twice per week approximately seven days ahead of the tournament
- Play at least one match one week ahead of the tournament
- Take a lesson on key tennis strokes, if necessary
- Get plenty of sleep, especially within the week ahead of the tournament (between seven and nine hours for those 64 and younger; between seven and eight hours for those 65 and older, according to the National Sleep Foundation)
Ahead of a tennis match, Corey recommends eating lite, energy-filled meals like:
- Oatmeal with fruit
- Peanut butter and jelly or banana sandwich
- Nonfat Greek yogurt with fruit, cereal or fruit smoothie
- Toast with cheese
But he suggests that you avoid meals that will weigh on your stomach or tire you out during the match, such as:
- Protein shake
- Caffeinated drinks
- Nuts and seeds
For more information, call the Tennis Pro Shop at (352) 402-4351 or e-mail Director of Tennis Thiroshan “T” Chetty at firstname.lastname@example.org.