Selecting the Right Real Estate Agent
Written by Kathleen Miller, Real Estate Agent at Royal Shell Real Estate.
Selecting the right Real Estate Agent is something many people struggle with when purchasing a home, and with good reason. The right agent can not only save you thousands of dollars, he or she can prevent you from making a huge mistake when it comes to, what will most likely, be the most expensive transaction of your lifetime.
How do you go about making this decision? What should the criteria be? What qualities should you look for? Where do you even begin? How do you know you have made the right choice?
The Key Factor
The most important factor in this equation is TRUST. You hire an agent for one reason . . . they are the experts. Highly trained, highly experienced and knowledgeable. You want an agent that doesn’t make you second guess your decisions. You should feel confident in their advice. Whether you are buying a home or selling, a good agent will be able to help you make intelligent decisions based on facts rather than emotion. There is no doubt that buying or selling a home is a very emotional experience. It’s also a monetary transaction and your agent will be there to help you avoid pitfalls that can affect your wallet.
Qualities to Look For
There is some important criteria to consider when making your selection so you can TRUST in your agent:
- Choose an agent with a strong track record in the market you are buying or selling in. Many Realtor®’s specialize in certain price points and types of real estate. The higher the value of the property, the more important it becomes to choose an agent with extensive experience in that market.
- Your agent should be able to demonstrate a strong sales record. This tells you your agent’s contacts, sphere of influence and marketing program, have the scope needed to sell your home. It also tells you they have had extensive experience in helping buyers negotiate with seller’s agents as well as the myriad inspections, appraisals, loan officers, etc.
- Ask around. See which agent has the best reputation for customer service in your neighborhood. Word of mouth can be very telling. It’s extremely important to choose an agent who is familiar with the area so he or she can best determine values. An agent who has personally been through many of the homes will have the greatest ability to compare properties. Pictures don’t always tell the story. Ask for references from past clients.
- Accessibility is a huge part of the TRUST. Is your agent readily available when you contact them? If you can’t reach them, likely neither can potential buyers.
- Choose an agent with a strong reputation for honesty. An agent who truly cares about your personal outcome will be totally honest with you and not just tell you what they think you want to hear. If you are selling, they will guide you through preparing your home to make it as desirable as it can be for potential buyers. They will also guide you to the real value of the home you are selling or considering to purchase.
- Lastly, there is no substitute for experience. An agent who can demonstrate years of experience combined with an exceptional sales record will not only produce the best outcome, but will also help make your journey both as pleasant and profitable as possible. This is an agent you can TRUST to help you with one of the most expensive transactions in your life.
With the above qualities you will be sure to find the best real estate agent for your buying or selling needs. For more information about Golden Ocala real estate visit our blog.