Healthy Eating During The Summer
Summer is a time for fun, exercise and relaxation as the long, hot days beckon us outdoors. For many active people – like those who live in Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club – summer requires some adjustments in our eating patterns. Healthy eating during summer means going light and drinking lots of water.
Eat Healthy, Eat Smart and Drink, Drink, Drink
Here are six healthy eating tips:
- Do Drink The Water. With temperatures rising into the upper 90s, the key to maintaining good health is staying hydrated. Stay cool and well-hydrated by drinking at least eight glasses of water a day. Add in cucumber slices and lemons for a tangy vitamin boost.
- Reach For The Berries. Berries are tasty and water-filled fruits that contain vitamins. They’re great for staying hydrated while filling you up without weighing you down.
- Get Your Potassium. During hot weather, sweating depletes the body of potassium. Add in extra potassium by eating tasty foods like avocados, bananas, spinach, yogurt and acorn squash.
- Eat Lighter Protein. During the summer, protein is still needed in the diet. Stay away from heavy meats but get your protein with lighter foods like nuts, cheeses and fish.
- Load Up On Smoothies. Fruit smoothies are delicious and filling ways to stay hydrated while getting nutritious berries and yogurt. Put some blueberries or strawberries in a blender with yogurt and juice, and you’ve got a delicious and healthy alternative to ice cream. Put in a few ice cubes for extra froth and extra hydration.
- See A Salad, Eat A Salad. Salads are excellent nutritional choices for the summer. Make a great salad with lettuce, kale and spinach leaves to provide you lots of vitamins and fiber. Add in some nuts and tuna for a filling meal that’s light and filled with fresh water.
Yes, summer is a time to be enjoyed. Stay light and hydrated, follow these tips for healthy eating during summer, and keep those summer days active, fun and healthy.