12 Motivations for Housework
WRITTEN BY LILIANA DUQUE, HOUSEKEEPING DIRECTOR.
Let’s face it, nobody really likes to do housework. It is especially tough to get motivated to clean when your house has been hit by the holidays season. You get a hopeless feeling and it’s hard to even know where to start when there is this kind of mess. It’s inevitable though, the mess must be cleaned! Here are 12 motivations for housework that help when you just don’t feel like cleaning.
Let’s Get Motivated!
- Shower/wash your face/ change into some “real clothes”, even if it’s yoga pants… Well, let’s not pretend, it usually is!
- Set your timer! I have developed a habit of setting my timer when I’m doing my Monday once-over or my daily tidying routines. I love to see if I can beat my previous records. When my timer goes off and I look around, it just proves that housework does not need to be an all-day ordeal, or an all-day procrastination-fest.
- Start with the easiest task to get some momentum: Mine is usually folding the blanket on the couch, straightening the pillows and picking up the toys in the living room. Instantly gratifying.
- Turn on your favorite music! Loud is good.
- Take it one tiny zone at a time: “If I can clear off the dining room table, then I’ll clean off that counter top.” and so on. And so forth. (I like to compartmentalize, so I use this one the most.)
- Talk on the phone. I put my earpiece in and call my sister to catch up. Talking on the phone makes chores go so much faster…and suddenly the bathroom has been cleaned! (Let’s face it, I’m never on the phone with my sister for just 15 minutes)
- Promise yourself a reward. It’s usually a mocha.By the time I’ve finished my routine, I usually feel so good I don’t even take myself up on it.
- Okay, forget that. On bad days it’s a pre-reward. A reward for my good intentions, shall we say. Anyways, in my experience, a little sugary caffeine never hurt a fast, 15-minute housekeeping spree.
- Simmer some spices on the stove. I don’t know what it is, but the aroma of cinnamon, cloves and oranges wafting through the house just motivates me to get everything feeling cozy and tidy.
- Listen to a motivating (or just entertaining) audio book, podcast, or TV show while I work. My favorites include Dr. Laura, Dave Ramsey, Joyce Meyer, and Seth Godin.
- Start super small: Example: What can I do in two minutes? This always surprises me.
- Use TV commercials. If I’m having a truly terrible and unmotivated, overwhelming day, I do what I call commercial method. You cannot use your DVR for this, as commercials are a necessity. I allow myself to lay around and watch T.V. all day, but during commercials, I force myself to get up and to do a little 5-minute something.
Hopefully, these tips will help you get motivated to get back into the swing of things and get your house back to normal! Don’t forget though, Golden Ocala does offer housekeeping services to their residents! These services include:
- Spring/Fall cleaning
- Deep Cleaning
- Window Cleaning (1st floor only)
- Laundering of Comforters & Quilts
The price for these services varies depending on the size of the home and services provided. If you would like more information please contact me at 352-402-4377. For more helpful tips and information on Golden Ocala living visit our blog!