Don Harrison Golf Charity Fundraiser a Big Success
The 2nd annual Don Harrison Golf Charity Fundraiser held in March was a big success. The weather was great and there was a solid turnout with 114 golfers, making for a beautiful day on the Golden Ocala golf course. The Don Harrison Foundation is still calculating the net proceeds from the event, but the money raised will assist local charities to help meet their goals in serving the Ocala community.
Golden Ocala Golf, Brunch and Entertainment
Golfers in the four-person scramble arrived for the event at 10 a.m., had a wonderful brunch and then hit the links and teed off at noon.
The golfers attended a reception Sunday evening that included an awards ceremony where trophies were presented to the top four teams. Guests enjoyed music from a DJ, some live music, a cash bar, and a silent auction that included some great items such as vacation getaways to the Carolinas and sports memorabilia.
The charity event is in honor of Don Harrison, a former Marine who resided in Ocala after he was out of the service. He was a man who, with every action embodied the very idea of honor, brotherhood, strength, and charity. As a Marine, he was duty bound to be the first to fight and the last to leave.
His selfless acts earned him the Bronze Star with a V for Valor and the Purple Heart. After his military service, he enjoyed a government civilian career, retiring as Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Intelligence. He was awarded the Meritorious Civilian Service Award, which is the second highest civilian award granted by the Secretary of the Army.
The event’s proceeds benefit some of Don’s favorite charitable organizations, including:
- Marion County Veterans Helping Veterans: As the name implies, this group supports military veterans and their families who are in need of assistance.
- Ocala Symphony Orchestra: Creates cultural experiences and opportunities for the community through music.
- Literacy Council of Marion County: Focuses on ensuring adults in the county have access to resources to bettering their lives by improving their literacy skills.
- Ocala Outreach Foundation: Provides Outreach Projects for qualified families in need.
- Shriners Hospitals for Children – Tampa: Is changing lives every day through innovative pediatric specialty care.
And the Don Harrison Golf Charity Fundraiser Winners Are …
Congratulations to the top golfers:
1st place Gross – score of 57
- Bob Molsick
- Andy Padova
- Jordan Padova
- Austin Padova
1st place Net – score of 53.70
- Edward Labuda
- Dan Zaroor
- Jack Miller
- Rick Calhoun
2nd place Net – score of 54.7
- Stephen Bookbinder
- Doug Murphy
- Stuart Menzies
- Scott Zeismer
3rd place Net – score of 55
- Frank & Nancy Puckett
- Doug & Jill Drenik
For more information about golf at Golden Ocala, call the pro shop at (352) 671-3933.