What Are Some Unusual Exercise Routines?
Hershel Walker’s exercise routine may not be unique, but it is unusual. Most trainers may advise against just doing pushups and sit-ups – hundreds and hundreds of them per day.
But while the football legend may employ unusual exercise routines, he is certainly not alone in seeking top fitness by abandoning the reservation with an unconventional approach.
While we at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club’s Fitness lean strongly to utilizing sure-fire methods of getting in shape, we are open to new innovations on the fitness horizon.
Many Routines Are Blends of Others
LIVESTRONG.COM lists several unusual exercises routines that have stepped far out of the box:
- Capoeira uses combat moves, dancing and music in a game format. Historians believe the art may have begun by African slaves in colonial Brazil. It uses acrobatics, agility, flexibility, speed and strength.
- AcroYoga’s name says it all. It combines yoga and acrobatics. Besides building strength and flexibility, it also helps foster trust in your exercise partner.
- Doga is another one where the name explains it all. This exercise routine is perfect for lovers of yoga and dogs. It’s essentially yoga with your dog.
- Pounds is for people who love fitness and music with pounding drum beats. Called “cardio jam session,” it incorporates Pilates and aerobics; pounders use drumsticks to pound out beats.
- PiYo combines two different disciplines. You guessed it: Pilates and yoga in flowing movements designed to shape muscles, improve flexibility and burn fat.
- Krav Maga was designed by the Israeli army in the 1940s. The martial art uses instinctive body reactions to defend against attackers.
- Dooya requires enthusiasts to don big smiles in doing Bollywood dance moves
- Polga requires a pole. Here’s another blend of exercise routines: pole dancing and yoga.
- Aerial Silks may be reminiscent of Cirque du Soleil. While beginners won’t be flying high in the sky, the routine uses sheets to help build upper-body and mid-section strength.
- Punk Rock Aerobics is definitely for the most unusual exercise enthusiast. The routine uses cinder blocks for weights and air-guitar movements.
- Thug Workout gets down to the brawny basics and relies on body weight: push-ups, pull-ups, and squats with picnic tables and telephone poles in urban-type settings.
We at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club know that the best way to getting in shape is by visiting our Fitness Center. Our trainers can help you develop a program that’ll keep you on the straight and narrow – and have fun at the same time. Stop by the Fitness Center and get started on your new muscles today!