How to Determine Your Target Heart Rate
Your heart rate is an important gauge for your exercise program. Whether you are trying to lose weight, improve your fitness levels or prepare for competition, determining your target heart rate serves as a useful indicator of your performance and exercise benefits.
The target heart rate is the number of beats per minute you should achieve while exercising. A person’s heart rate determines their fitness level. Monitoring your heart rate enable you avoid under or over training.
Under training happens when heart rate levels during exercise are too low. Overtraining happens when you exceed healthy target heart rate levels. This can lead to dehydration and fainting. Monitoring your heart rates during exercise ensures you achieve your fitness goals and don’t jeopardize your health.
Heart Rate Measuring Techniques
Here are some steps to determine your target heart rate:
- Calculate your maximum heart rate by subtracting your age from 220. (The actual number may be 10 to 20 beats lower or higher depending on your level of fitness.)
- Determine your resting heart rate by taking your pulse at rest.
- Calculate your heart rate reserve by deducting your age from 220 (your maximum heart rate) then subtract your resting heart rate from that figure. This determines the heart beats available for exercise.
- Determine your fat burning heart rate by taking your heart rate reserve and multiple it by .5 and by .75.
- Add your resting rate to both numbers to determine your range of heart rate of beats per minute.
How to Exercise
Begin each workout with some cardio exercising and work your way up to your fat burning heart rate. Several pieces of exercise equipment such as a treadmill or a bike are fitted with a sensor and can help you monitor your heart rate while you are working out.
To keep your heart rate at the optimal level maintain constant motion throughout your workout. Always do a cool down to bring your heart rate back to normal levels before completing your workout.
The fitness instructors at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club in Ocala Florida are trained to help you determine a suitable fitness regime based on your goals and level of fitness. They will educate you on how to monitor your heart rate to achieve optimum results from every workout.
Golden Ocala uses Technogym® to personalize your fitness goals and exercise program. Ask the knowledgeable staff about cardio training with Cardio Wave™ which can accelerate results in endurance, strength and coordination.
Whether you are a social exerciser or a competitive athlete, Golden Ocala has a membership program to fit your specific needs. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.