Getting the Most Out of Your Workout
Written by Barbara Whatley, Spa & Fitness Director.
Are you a regular gym-goer? You walk in, sit down, pop your headphones in, casually hop from machine-to-machine, lift a few weights and leave. Overall, you feel confident and proud…but what if you could improve your workout, get faster results and feel even more accomplished?
Maximize Your Workout
Working out does take time, which is why it’s important to try and get the most out of each workout. Chances are you want to see your body transform into a more toned and healthier you, and getting the most from each workout will help you do just this. The Golden Ocala Spa & Fitness Center has inside tips that will help you achieve your goals:
- Be Hydrated: Drinking enough water and eating wholesome foods can sometimes have a bigger impact on your transformation than working out. How much water should you be drinking? If you’re thirsty–drink. Then, drink some more. Many people will say eight glasses a day. However, the more you work out, the more water your body will require.
- Be Nourished: When it comes to eating, it is all about portion control. If you’re hungry–eat. Have a healthy snack two to three times a day. Snacking on fruits and vegetables between smaller meals can actually speed up your metabolism and your results.
- Be Comfortable: Wearing comfortable clothing to the gym will allow you to move and feel good. You don’t want to wear too tight or too baggy clothing. Not only can improper gym wear be distracting, it can also restrict your movements.
- Be Smart: Don’t overdo it! You’re human and naturally compare yourself to others in the gym. However, everyone’s strength and fitness level is different. Do not assume that “if they can do it, then I can too.” Just because the guy next to you is using a 50lb weight doesn’t mean that you should too. You must gradually build your strength and be patient because it takes time. If you have questions or need assistance, ask one of our on-site trainers for guidance.
- Be Focused: When you go to the gym, focus on what you came there to do and what you are there to accomplish. It will help you get through your workout if you focus on using proper technique and good range of motion. Research shows that when people are more focused on their workout, there is a significant increase in muscle activity. Leave distractions at home and cut the chit-chat until you’re done.
- Be Pumped: Listening to upbeat tunes before and during your workout can motivate you and get the juices flowing. Music has been proven to motivate weightlifters to complete more repetitions. At Golden Ocala, music is always playing throughout the gym, but everyone has a different taste in terms of the music that motivates them. A great idea is to create a “Workout Playlist” so that you can listen to the music that motivates you the best.
- Be Confused: Changing your routine and confusing your muscles is important in gaining strength and toning up. The same routine can cause your body to plateau. Mix it up! It will keep you from getting bored and keep you moving.
- Be strategic: There is no right or wrong time to work out. You may like to work out in the morning to jump-start your day or maybe you like to end your workday relieving stress at the gym. Do what works best for YOU!
Next time you’re at the gym, think back on these tips. We hope they will help you stay motivated and push you closer toward your fitness goals!