Upcoming Golf and Tennis Programs
The start of 2020 will bring with it a full schedule of Golden Ocala tennis and golf programs for member couples, parents and children. Each will be formatted for friendly competition and as a skill practice exercise — presented by Director of Golf Ryan Gray and Director of Tennis “T” Chetty. While most of this is and will be listed in the weekly gazette and through other forms of communication, with the busyness of the holiday season, our team wants to ensure that you don’t miss a thing.
The first tennis event of this season will take us beyond the gates of Ocala and into Lady Lake before heading back to the heart of Horse Country. The following month launches our biggest tennis event of the season:
- January 11th: Florida Cup at Harbor Hills Country Club
- Golden Ocala will share the court with two other Central Florida clubs
- All levels welcome
- January 18th: Adult/Child Tournament (Ages 6-18)
- Divisions — Red Ball (6-8), Orange Ball (7-10), Green Dot (9-12)
- Snacks, trophies, prizes
- February 18th – February 23rd: Eighth Annual Marion Masters
- Men’s, women’s and mixed doubles
- Divisions 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0
- Tournament play, two additional events, breakfast, lunch, drinks, door prizes and trophies
For information on event pricing, timing and registration, call the Pro Shop at (352) 402-4351 or email “T” at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Golden Ocala golf events for the months of January and February will be divided into member tournaments and couples golf:
- Member Tournaments —
- January 1st: Griffin Cup Begins
- Match play format with single elimination marches scheduled between players through the month of May
- January 25th: Ham & Egg Invitational
- Breakfast-style event with members and guests
- Two best balls of four (one gross and one net)
- February 5th: Ladies 9-Hole Championship
- Nine-hole stroke play event with a gross and net champion
- February 18th: Ladies 18-Hole Championship
- 18-hole stroke play event with a gross and net champion
- Couples Golf —
- January 5th: 18-Hole Capture the Flag
- January 12th: 9-Hole Boys vs. Girls
- January 19th: 18-Hole Trifecta
- January 26th: 6-Hole Glow Golf Event
- February 2nd: 9-Hole Hasselhoff
- February 9th: 18-Hole Train Wreck
- February 16th: 9-Hole Bloodsome
- January 1st: Griffin Cup Begins
And just in case you need a refresher on some of the above terms:
- Best Ball — Each player plays the golf ball throughout the round. After each hole, the person with the lowest score on the hole serves as the team’s score.
- Capture the Flag — Each hole will consist of two holes on the green. One flag will be a normal hole location, while the other will be a tough flag placed on the green. Each of the nine holes will require players to go for three “hard” flags, which are worth double points, taking one score per hole for the team.
- Boys vs. Girls — While each couple is playing, the golf team will randomly draw teams to a create a team of two males and two females, becoming a best-ball event.
- Trifecta — It is a 6-6-6 format, with the first six holes being played as a team scramble. The next six will be played as a best-ball format, while the final six holes will be played as an alternate shot.
- Glow Golf Event — The short game facility becomes a six-hole glow golf course, played as a two-person scramble.
- Hasselhoff — This is a best-ball format, but any shots hit into bunkers do not count.
- Train Wreck — Each player will play their own ball, and the team will take the best net score. If your team makes back-to-back bogeys or one double bogey, your point total goes back to zero.
- Bloodsome — This is a two-person team best ball. After the tee shots are struck, the opposing team decides which ball of the two your team will play for the second shot. Then, the team will play a scramble until the ball is holed.
For information on event pricing, timing and registration, call the Pro Shop at (352) 671-3933 or email Ryan Gray at email@example.com.
Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club wishes all of you a Happy New Year! Our golf and tennis staff look forward to welcoming members again in 2020.