28 August 14  |  Equestrian   |  

Transporting Horses-In and Out of State

Written by Loryn Lamport, our Equestrian Manager.

Transporting horses in and out of state and locally not only requires your truck and trailer to be in roadworthy conditions, but also requires your horses have the proper travel documentation.

Required Tests

In order to enter or leave Florida with horses, every owner needs to provide a negative Coggins test. The Coggins test is a blood sample needed to diagnose a disease called EIA- Equine Infectious Anemia, a.k.a Swamp Fever. EIA is transmitted through blood-sucking insects, like flies, and cannot be contracted by humans.  A required health exam by a licensed veterinarian must be performed within 30 days of traveling in or out of state.  Once tested, a detailed form is filled out with a description of the horse and the documentation is valid for 1 year.


Though EIA has no vaccination and no cure, there are other viruses like West Nile, EEE/WEE (encephalitis), Rhino/Flu, and Tetanus Toxoid that have vaccinations which are highly recommended by veterinarians.  Most public locations and events such as horse shows, trail riding parks and large boarding facilities require all horses be kept up-to-date on their tests and vaccinations.

Nantucket Miley

Getting ready for travel at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club

When transporting horses anywhere, it is always good to know what is required so they travel smooth and your horses stay healthy.

For more information about the Golden Ocala Equestrian Club see our blog.