Making Healthy Choices While Dining Out
Blame your eyes. And maybe your nose. It is, after all, your sensory perception that often thwarts your loftiest plans for healthy eating. We won’t neglect mentioning the ambience. All those factors, rounded together, tend to derail even the most worthy of pursuits.
Perhaps it was merely that Rhubarb-Raspberry Cheesecake Square (or the Peach Cobbler with whipped cream) at the end of so many otherwise excellent menu choices while dining out that put the brakes on your caloric descent and your vision of brawn.
Alas! Hearken not to the temptations of dining out. We at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club have the perfect – and most delicious – solutions for you. In short, you can eat out and keep your tummy trim – all at the same time!
Here are some scrumptious pointers from WebMD.com:
- Make plans ahead of time. Think about what you’ll be eating and about making healthy selections.
- Don’t show up at the restaurant “starving to death.” It’s more difficult to eat healthy when you’re too hungry to think rationally.
- Picture the portions. Many restaurants provide portions large enough to feed small crowds. Order smaller portions, share a meal with someone or save some of your food for later – in a take-home box.
- Choose menu items that have fruit, vegetables or whole grains. These choices provide a better balanced meal.
- When traveling, bring snacks or pack your lunch. Dried fruit, pretzels and nuts are good choices for the sojourner. Those who fly should make sure to drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
While you’re at home – at Golden Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club – the healthiest places are right in your backyard. Take, for instance, Knickers. One example: The organic chicken with couscous, spinach, sundried tomato and natural au jus? Sides? Yea, baby. Brussel sprouts, broccoli, green beans, asparagus and more.
Let’s skip on over to Café on the Green – not right away, mind you – to examine another healthy example. How about this one: The Grilled Chicken Wrap with caramelized onion, lettuce, Pepper Jack cheese, avocado, chipotle aioli and your choice of tortilla.
As the culinary inkling comes on, explore our Dining tab and check out our healthy and delectable menu choices. We’ve got your palette and your tummy in mind. Eat smart, eat healthy and look good. Isn’t that what it’s all about?